Monday, September 7, 2009

Small Rooms. Big Projects.


A few weeks ago, Hubby and I decided to make a few changes to our laundry room. And like every project; what started out as something simple has snowballed into epic proportions.

I simply requested an iron board for the wall which would replace the standard one that was currently occupying our guest bedroom. I'm no different than most people. I have the traditional guest room, which I can honestly say is anything but traditional. It is where we do our ironing, bill paying, paper filing, gift wrapping, and gift hiding. Just to name a few.

So my "simple" idea has escalated into, dare I say....PROJECT!

The new ironing board sat for a while when after we purchased it we realized that the laundry room was filled with obstacles. There was only one wall where it could be installed. Unfortunately, within that wall lay two light switches and a heating duct. If the ironing board had been made of silly puddy, I would not have a story to tell. Luckily, with the help of some family, it is now hanging where it belongs, in our laundry room.

Since the wall had to be cut to fit the new board, we realized that we now had to paint. Not a big deal... right? WRONG! Despite the size of this room, there are more obstacles than one can count. A washer, dryer, ironing board, utility sink, two shelves and a window.

I should have just set up camp at our local Home Depot. No matter how many lists have been made, we have put enough mileage on our sneakers that I think we officially completed a marathon in the store yesterday. When the associates start waving to you; you realize you've made one too many trips.

So now you know what I've been up to, and how I plan to begin my Labor Day. Not too worry, the barbecue will be going in a few hours...right after the paint dries. Thank goodness for grandparents who enjoy taking the kids overnight. We may have had some fingerprints on those newly painted walls.

Stay tuned for the pictures. I look forward to sharing them.

Enjoy your holiday!

4 comments:

Courtney @ One Fine Wire said...

Happy Labor Day! Saw you on SITS and thought I'd say hello :)

My personal blog:
www.finewire.blogspot.com

My Blog Design Business:
www.onefineblogdesign.blogspot.com

I'd love to work with you!

Unknown said...

wow, sounds like that was a major project!

just stopping by from SITS to say hi; hope you'll do the same.

Jennifer said...

LOL! Isn't that the way it usually goes, though? One simple thing opens up a can of worms! At least you got your ironing board - and a reorganized laundry room, right? ;-)

Enjoy your BBQ and the rest of your Labor Day weekend!

ethelmaepotter! said...

Oooh, I am anxiously awaiting these pictures! I know I'm a little odd here, but I simply love laundry room makeovers! I have plans one day to enlarge mine, put in a sewing desk and an island, and make it a laundry/crafts room.