Friday, August 7, 2009

Stuck In A Cross Road


Years of education under my belt, and yet where do I find myself today? That's right, you guessed it...school! I'm unsure how it works in other states, but in PA, once you obtain a teacher certification you must complete your act 48 hours. Simply stated, the whole idea prevents our teachers from getting "rusty."

We've all had the "rusty" teacher sometime during our educational career. They are the ones that read directly from the text book. They sit most of the day. And they don't bother making their own test since they can easily xerox the ones in the back of the teaching manual.

So, with the kids off to their grandparents, I embarked on a day of school. From 8 to 5:30 I completed activities, watched videos, worked on a team, summarized, read, answered and almost fell asleep on the way home. And guess what? I have to return for the second part on Tuesday. On top of that, I have a homework assignment. A fun homework assignment, but due to the family outing planned this weekend, I'm still trying to figure out when I will be completing it.

That brings me to the title of this post. After receiving my Master's Degree in Elementary Education a few years back, I planned to return to work rather quickly. Let's just say, life throws you curve balls some times. Lucky for me, these curve balls have enabled me to spend more time with my children. On the flip side, I may loose my teaching license.

I have done much thinking about this situation. While I have been raising my boys I have also been given the chance to spend more time writing... another passion of mine.

I am now at a crossroads of some sort. Some days I feel I should go to my right. Other days I'm pulled more to the left. For now, I've decided to complete classes while I continue writing. While it's not the answer, it is a temporary fix to the anxiety I've been feeling lately.

Both boys will be in school this year. While it's only a half day program for Scooter, it may give me the little bit of "me" time needed to straighten myself out.... to decide what I want to be when I grow up!

1 comment:

Kathy B! said...

I'm at the sam crossroads... just a little farther up...

All four of mine are in school full time, and I get to decide what I want to be when I grow up. It's overwhelming, frankly.

I wish peace and clarity for you in this process.