Sunday, August 23, 2009

Attack of the Killer Cicada

I love a quiet summer morning. The type where you can go onto the back porch in your pajamas, hair pulled into a scrunchie, see the children watch their cartoons through the window, admire the flowers you planted and sip a hot cup of coffee while it is still hot. Yes, I love those mornings.

Unfortunately, due to the arrival of cicadas; quiet is the last thing there's been around here.

If you don't know what a cicada is, take a good look at the picture (then silently scream as you think about the possibility that millions of those things are somewhere in your backyard). Believe it or not, as I did a search on Google I came upon a site dedicated to people who actually adore these little creatures. You must be kidding I thought. You can even buy mugs and T-shirts in their honor. I don't know about you, but there are a few other things I can think of that look better on a t-shirt than a cicada.

Anyhow, after a nice day of swimming two days ago, I took the boy's swimsuits and hung them to dry over the porch railing. I accidentally forgot about them, so they hung out there overnight. (no big deal...right?)

So this afternoon, Hubby decided to take the boys swimming. I nonchalantly grabbed the bathing suits and headed to the bathroom with Scooter to help him get ready. And that's when it happened! A cicada dropped out of his bathing suit and onto the bathroom floor.

Now, although the entire experience lasted less than two seconds; here is a blow by blow account from Mommy Maestro (A.K.A.- Mommy Drama Queen) for your enjoyment.

As I picked up Scooter's swimsuit, I felt something fall out near my foot. I looked down to see a bug measuring something like 2 ft long with a wingspan of an albatross (Cicada's actually measure no bigger than three inches. Try to keep in mind this is my dramatic telling). He lifted off the floor. The sound of helicopter propellers filled our entryway. I ran back into the bathroom with Scooter, closed the door, and yelled for Hubby.

As usual, Hubby came to my rescue....with a broom. Don't worry, he didn't kill it. He trapped it in a cup, showed it off to the boys (because that's what cool Dad's do) then released it back outside.

What a crazy day. Or should I say, what a crazy five seconds.

The moral of the story: First, keep your Hubby on retainer in case crazy creatures invade your home. Last, but most importantly: Bring those bathing suits in at night!


Martha in PA said...

Aren't they crazy right now? It is so loud. I like to sit on the patio with my coffee and let the guinea pig have his free time in the morning, the "chatter" never stops. I have taken some crazy pics of them, check out this one!
Let's hope for quieter mornings soon!

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

You won't forget the bathing suits again!

ethelmaepotter! said...

TOO FUNNY! Thanks for visiting my blog. I'll be back here often, as this is very entertaining!

Jennifer said...

Ugh, the cicadas around here make me bonkers! There's no quiet! I hope you get some peace and quiet soon!

Anonymous said...

Aw, I love the cicadas! Maybe not inside my clothing though.

Kathy B! said...

Thank GOD for hubbys... good to keep them on retainer :)

Anonymous said...

How wonderfully brave you are to take your son with you! LOL My son was lamenting--yes lamenting--the CIcads at bedrime. "The CIdadas, they driving me crazy" was along the lines of the emotional complaint!
I hopeyou find your peace and quiet!

Mama Mel said...

Eeew! I just got the chills! I can just imagine their loud wings making them fly all over the place! They are so big and gross!

Melissa B. said...

We've had some unusually large cicadas recently as well. But at least they weren't the 17-year swarm. Did you have that up Philly way about 5 years ago? Ick! SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did...