Sunday, June 28, 2009

Yep, You Heard Me, I'm Building An Ark!


I was so excited for summer. Swimming, gardening, biking with the kids, picnics; I love it all. But my plans have been on pause these past few weeks. Why you ask? Well, it's been raining cats and dogs on and off for practically the entire month of June.


I have literally spent the last three weeks either in a house, a car, under an umbrella, a tree, an awning, wrapped in a rain coat, a newspaper, or running for my life between lightning strikes and 60 mile an hour winds. Yikes!

What a way to begin one of the most exciting times of the year. I look out my window into my backyard to see a pool that has been used only three times this season. The third time was actually this afternoon. The clouds parted just enough to allow the sun to finally warm the water above 70 degrees. The kids were overjoyed to play in water that didn't come from a puddle, a raincloud, or wasn't referred to as a "bath."

There is an upside to all of this rain: We haven't had to water the flowers or fill the pool. Of course the downside to those two upsides are a fungus caused by all the rainwater is slowly killing my rose bushes, and the rain has left the pool ten degrees colder than usual....BLAH!

I once considered myself a creative person, but I am finally running out of ideas for the kids. We've done coloring, reading, arts and crafts, movies, and Wii Fit. But I hit the jackpot when I had children. They love to be outside.

It's all my fault! I've trained them not to waste their day in front of a television or video games. This seemed to be a wonderful idea until this monsoon blew in. I have been made to stock up on Windex. On the outside of the windows I wipe away rain drops, on the inside I wash away the small hand prints that are eager to be buried in a sandbox.

Tomorrow's forecast? That's right, you guessed it, it's going to rain. So what plans do I have? Well, for now, it looks like I will be building an ark. I'll be breaking some of the rules though because I'm really not an animal lover. So anything with more than two legs needing a ride will have to wait for that guy with the long beard.

Looks like we're headed outside tomorrow. Oooooh kiddies!!!

4 comments:

Liz Mays said...

Ours comes in spurts. We'll have a whole craptastic week of rain, then a beautiful dry one like last week. I understand we're headed back to the rainy season as of tonight.

The worst thing is that all of the rain brings a nice healthy batch of mosquitoes 2 weeks later.

Kathy B! said...

That sucks!

Stick 'em in some rainboots and coats and arm them with some things to float in the water coursing down your street. They'll have a blast :)

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from SITS to say hi!

Anonymous said...

Hoping the rain goes away....