Friday, June 5, 2009

Hero of the Week


I'm a news hound. Everyday I skim through two newspapers. The local news plays in the background while I get the kids ready for school. I then watch bits and pieces of the Today show. It starts all over come dinner time when I review the local news for the second time, then the national news. I give much thanks to my mom and my history teachers for this love, but at times I have to admit it's depressing.


A common trend I find in the news today is the reporting of tragedy, violence and just complete nonsense. It seems the more ridiculous you act, the more likely you are to wake up with reporters on your lawn. While these stories tend to get the bulk of network attention, the stories that we wish we heard more often get only 30 seconds or so. Often there's not even a picture.


I claim no journalist abilities, but I know a good story when I hear one. With that said, I've decided to start a weekly column in my blog saluting a hometown hero. And although this may be a Mom blog, father's indeed get a vote. Even children for that matter. If you've gone above and beyond, you deserve to be noticed. For now, I will be pulling candidate's from reported headlines. Once I get a bit more established, I would like to call on my readers to submit votes.

The Hometown Hero I have chosen this week is New Jersey father David Goldman. In 2004 David's wife took their son Sean to Brazil to visit family. She never returned. Instead, she divorced David, remarried and began a new life. The tragedy continued when David's now ex-wife died while giving birth to another child.

David has been fighting from day one to have the custody of his son returned to him. This past week it looked as if this may happen, but while en route to Brazil the ruling was changed.

I chose David as my first Hometown Hero because of his courage, and his endearing love for his child.

It's anyone's guess how this situation is going to end. I can't even say if what David is doing is entirely right. It appeared that although what his ex wife did was illegal, she always provided a loving environment for Sean. This is all that Sean knows. Is it actually feasible to remove a child from one country and expect him to thrive in another after losing his mother and being taken from everything that is familiar? I unfortunately do not have that answer.

Whether right or wrong, David never gave up. And that is why this week, he has been chosen my first Hometown Hero.

20 comments:

Opus #6 said...

Awww, that's sad. I'm sorry for everybody's loss. I hope this story has a happy ending.

Happy VGNO.

Native American Momma said...

Happy VGNO!
I did hear about that story on the news. It is heartbreaking for the Dad I think.

Susan Cook said...

Great idea for a weekly blog post. I didn't hear about this particular case, but have heard of others like it. Just on GMA this week was a similar case of a lady who has been trying to see her daughter for 12 yrs. after the father took her to Egypt. It is sad when things like this happen.

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing. Happy VGNO!

Lucia said...

I started reading about this earlier in the week. You raise some very legitimate points. But yes, the dad's dedication to his son is commendable.

That's cool you're doing this on your blog. And happy VGNO!

Rosee Rouge said...

Happy VGNO. That is so sad! so now it's like the little boy has no parents! I hope he is able to bring his son home some day.

Mandala Michelle said...

I just heard about this story last night. I just pray for a happy ending for all.

Lola said...

Stopping by for VGNO!

Have a great weekend.

http://lolasdiner.blogspot.com
http://firecrotchrocket.blogspot.com

Missy said...

What a great idea. We could all use a little hero stories in our lives.
Stopping by for VGNO. Have a great day.

Susan Campbell Cross said...

What a great post--Thank you for sharing this story. Happy VGNO from another writer/mommy/blogger!

--Susan

www.secretsofasuburbansoccermom.blogspot.com

Kristen said...

Wow! I hope everything works out for the best.

Happy VGNO!
My VGNO Post!

Joanne said...

Kudos to you for bringing Positivity to your blog! A great idea, most definitely, to shine the light on goodness. Hope things work out for the dad in your story today.

Carolee Hollenback said...

Poor guy! Actually, poor kid, too.

I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

Happy VGNO!

Anonymous said...

Great Hero story. Sad for that dad...I hope it works out.

Happy VGNO. Enjoy your weekend.

Jennifer said...

I've been following this story since it aired on some news show several months ago. It's heartbreaking. Either way it goes, I hope that everything works out for Sean.

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope he gets his son!

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

Happy late VGNO..I heard that story too, if I remember correctly, the added twist is the boys mother died, and her husband (his step dad) is fighting to keep the boy..

Ann Harrison said...

Oh my gosh Mary, I've been following this story too. I can't even imagine what this poor father has been going through. Boggles the mind. (I'm going to keep following this story.)

I'm still catching up on my VGNO partying! Whoo Hoo!

Lauren said...

I love your idea! Our local newspaper recently began to feature "Good News." It's refreshing to see the good things in life instead of all the bad stuff. Stopping by from SITS!

Kathy B! said...

I used to be a news junkie, and like you, I find it depressing sometimes. Except I found it depressing to the point that I now stick to Newsweek because I get less human inerest stuff... My heart was breaking...

Thanks for posting this great hero storyl

Marie Reed said...

I'm over from the FMC and am following you now:)