Friday, March 6, 2009

School Photo Saga


I guess it's been about 2 weeks since I received the infamous school photo information packet in Potter's book bag. I'm unsure if it works the same way at everyone's school, but basically this is how it's done.


We were told in a very kind letter that we are obligated to purchase a picture package from ABC Company on a certain date. We are to circle the package we choose, and return the envelope on picture day with a check. In large bold writing it says (I kid you not) "We Prefer Cash." Our children are told they MUST wear their uniforms (Catholic School), and to make sure they are properly groomed since the photographer is not allowed to touch the children.


It's at this point that I'm beginning to wonder if the photo will be used for America's Most Wanted. What has our world come to when on a cold windy picture day a photographer can not help a child fix their hair so that they look half decent?


You can probably guess where this story is going by now, but just in case, let me say I decided to use gel in Potter's hair that day for extra help with those curls that sometimes pop up during 60 mile winds. I was pleased with how nice my son looked when he left that morning for school, and I felt confident that his school picture would turn out just fine.


Hold that thought. Who am I kidding? This is The Adventures of Mommy Maestro. Why on God's green earth would you expect this story to have a normal ending?


So as the story goes I received those beautiful pictures yesterday. Well, I use the word beautiful because the picture of course was of my son, or at least I think it was. Somewhere between the word cheese and the click of a flash something so odd happened to my child's face. It was the look of confusion, happiness, boredom, and silliness all wrapped into one.


Now I remember back in the day when a child would reveal such a face, a photographer may not actually know until the film was developed. But in the digital age, these things just don't happen. We take a picture, we like it, it goes on our memory card. We don't like it; it gets deleted and forgotten forever. Let's just say that this was one of those pictures that may have been better forgotten.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. So I made the best of things and I laughed until there were tears. I really can't place blame when I don't know who to blame. Sure, I could send these pictures back. I still have the option. I could probably just demand my money if I returned the packet, but for some reason, I think I'll keep it. Sure, it's $17.00 that I'll never get back, but it's also a laugh that I may not have had; and a memory I'll treasure forever.

6 comments:

The Hapa Girl said...

LOL...that reminds me of when Katie's pictures came back and she had the biggest bug eyed look! So true about the digital age...why couldn't they just say "Let's try that again!"

Jennifer said...

I can only imagine what that picture looks like, but if you looked at it and end up laughing so hard you cried, I already love it and it HAS to be a keeper! Years from now, you'll have that awesome, quirky picture! :-)

I remember the days when the photographer had a black comb in his back pocket and combed anyone who had messy hair. The big thing back then was if parents should send their kids to school with their own combs to avoid lice. LOL!

Kathy B! said...

Alright Mary. Scan that picture, baby. You can't get us all curious like that and then hold out on the picture!!! It's just mean!!

DawnS said...

Ha ha so funny! One of mine went to school with adorable pig tails - can't mess that up right? Well got the pictures back and she had one side piggy tail and straight hair on the other. You would think they could at least take out the remaining "tail" - I kept them too :) Just stopped by from SITS - have a great day!

The Joynes Girls said...

Those photos are always useful years down the road. My daughter really did not enjoy her Santa experience this year. She's turning 2 at the end of this month. The photo of my daughter and Santa shows a perfect frowny face. At first I was frustrated I didn't have my perfect Santa picture. But the look on my daughter's face is so hysterical that I'm keeping that photo forever!

Days of Whine & Noses said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog (the hamster was a year and a half in our house but we've had our cats for almost 11 years now!)