Monday, March 2, 2009

Parental Guidance Suggested


The phones began ringing at 6am this morning. The automated system sent the anticipated message that school was closed today. I am usually up by that time, but I quickly surmised that Hubby's work may have closed as well and he decided to let me sleep. Just what I needed.

An hour later I made it downstairs to find kids fed, and Hubby working at his computer. This Bug that has overtaken my body must have had a one way ticket. I imagine a bunch of virus blobs sitting on beach chairs and sipping umbrella drinks right in the middle of my immune system. They take a look out at the horizon and make a quick call to their travel agent: "We'll be staying here another week. This place is great!"

Despite the fact that my body has been turned into a vacation spot for unknown pathogens, I'm quickly reminded by my children that the white fluffy stuff on the ground does indeed melt and I will have to act fast if I am to bring them sledding.

A cup of coffee, shower, and pop-tart later I venture into the cold with my 2 boys and Hubby. Had I watched the forecast I may have been warned that the temperature only reached 21 degrees and the windchill made it feel like single digits. Needless to say, 20 minutes later I came crawling back inside with children in tow. Their cheeks were bright red, jeans filled with ice, and despite gloves, their fingers stayed in one position for the next minute or two.

Last thing I remember I was making sandwiches for the kids lunch. I never made it to lunch though. I put my head on the couch pillow around 11am and woke up a little after 3pm to the sound of Ghostbusters (Yes, the movie).

Scooter received the movie from my sister for his birthday. I didn't think twice about it since I remember watching the movie as a kid myself. All I have to say is: "What were my parents thinking?" Like my children now, I'm sure I had no idea what was going on or what was being said at the time. The kids giggled in some parts and hid under the covers during other parts. I sat with my mouth open.

What should I do? Turn it off, let it run. My brain wasn't capable of overthinking today. It had already been taken over by viruses and what not. I tried to send messages to my husband via spelling of words. I will allow him to get away with that face of annoyance he shot my way, since I'm unsure myself if I actually spelled the words correctly.

Before I knew it, the movie was over (thank heavens). It was safely taken out of the DVD player and placed behind the video library...way behind the video library. Here's hoping the children will forget about it until let's say 18 years of age.

I generally show nothing but rated G movies in my home; at least at their age. There will be plenty of time to watch all those flicks that are anxiously awaiting to corrupt their mind. Until then, this Mama is keeping a close watch.

4 comments:

Kathy B! said...

Wow. That bug is really relentless. The good news is that it has to move on soon, right?!

We had the freak snow today as well. I'd like to go on the record and say that snow is overrated. Way too cold to have much fun. brrrr.

As for the movie -- anything above G is loaded with innuendo. Some subtle. Some not so much. You're wise to be wary.

Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction to Aladdin. I remembered loving it when it came out and gave no thought to popping it back in even though it had been years since I last watched it.

Five minutes in and my three year-old was hiding under a pillow and I remembered that I was a teen the first time I saw it.

SHAME ON DISNEY! (And, um, myself for not watching it first. I always mean to, and then go back to trusting the people who brought us such quiet films as Cinderella and those boring-ass Princess compilations.)

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon! Rest up!

-Jenn H.

Cheryl Pitt said...

Hate to tell you that I had a bug that came and went for a month, it was awful, AWFUL! But it will pass.

LOL about the movies. I've rented movies for Biggest that I love when I was young only to think WTH?? I didn't remember half of that! Tip: DON'T let them watch Goonies, yikes!