Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Ooops I Did It Again!


So I arrived home about 9pm last night after sitting with my writer’s critique group. I joined the group just over a year ago now. They are a wonderful group of women who have helped me strengthen my writing skills which will hopefully lead to published work someday.
Since Hubby was still busy with work stuff I decided to head up to the bedroom and watch some television. I was hoping for a comedy or something of the sort. It’s funny how one can get lost in no man’s land with just a few clicks of the remote control. One minute you’re learning a new recipe from Rachel Ray, the next minute you’re traveling Italy with Samantha Brown.

Despite all the wonderful shows my T.V. had to offer, I couldn't help myself. There I was on The Home Shopping Network (again). I usually watch these broadcasting gems after Hubby goes to sleep. Sometimes they even help lull me to sleep. But every now and again the vortex catches me. My inner Jiminey Cricket screams “Don’t do it, Mary!” But I can’t help myself.

A few days before I was flipping through the channels, and of course there I landed on The Home Shopping Network again. They were advertising a Pilate's Machine. I didn’t really need a Pilate's Machine, but there was something about this particular one that kept my interest. So I watched and watched. Something like 200 exercises could be performed on this machine. “How awesome,” I thought. Just then Jiminey knocked me out of my Pilate's trance, and brought me back to reality….just before I dialed the order center.

So, back where I left off…the bedroom watching the Home Shopping Network. And wouldn’t you know it, that darn Pilate's Machine was being sold once again. It was an omen! Jiminey tried to stop me, but I ignored his pleas. Minimize blog window; bring up Home Shopping Network. Shh! There it was on my computer screen in bright color. "Must be mine," I said out loud. And before I could blink an eye the mouse scrolled over the word checkout. "Oops, I did it again!"
My obsession with work-out equipment started at a young age and till this day my basement resembles the likes of Bally's, L.A. Fitness, and Fat Camp all wrapped into one. I would like to brag about how in shape I am. The truth: My addiction to Dunkin Doughnuts coffee and muffins has no doubt unleashed a dragon of cholesterol havoc through my blood stream. We won't even begin to talk about what it has done to my backside.
So, will I use this new machine that I am so excitingly anticipating from Mr. Fed Ex? Well, I guess we're just going to have to wait and see. I have to fit into my bridesmaid dress for my brothers wedding in about a month from now, so I think that will definitely be my inspiration. And before you know it, it will be bathing suit season. (Dear God?!?!)
For now I have decided to watch the Disney Channel with Scooter. It will keep me safe from that Home Shopping Network. If only there was a buffer between me and Dunkin Doughnuts.

No comments: