Friday, April 10, 2009

No Such Thing As A Day Off


I was so looking forward to Easter vacation. My son began his yesterday, and it extends to Monday. I had so many things I wanted to do with them: from dyeing eggs to going to the park. Then something so crazy happened. Should I say my children became little monsters?


Maybe it's just the fact that Potter is so use to having a regimen at school that he just needed to let loose for a while. And seriously I may just buy that excuse, but Scooter made sure he had a few surprises for Mommy as well.


Yesterday began with a sinus headache. All right, not the best of beginnings, but I made promises, so off we went to have a great day. Somewhere between mid day and late afternoon, the whining ensued. It finally tornadoed into a full blown meltdown. (You know the type: The one that only other people's children are capable of having. The one you witness at fast food restaurants and promise your children if they ever try that stunt, there will be no tomorrows. Yep, that's the one).


And so it went on and on and on, until finally, Mommies head exploded. I loaded the minivan, children and all, and headed back home. Fifteen minutes into our ride, both children were sleeping. Ah! Sometimes peace and quiet comes in the strangest of places. I could of driven that minivan until the cows came home. If only I had filled up on gas.


So I woke up this morning hoping for a brand new start. Since it's holy week, maybe my children had been visited by God himself last night and he made the proper threats so that Mommies day could be just a bit easier. No such luck.


Off to the grocery store we headed. The trip felt longer than the one to Disney World we took 2 weeks ago. It began outside the store when Scooter realized there were no more car carts (you know those oversized roller coasters that supposedly fit children and a whole week of groceries. Not to mention they weigh 300 pounds and no one else can fit around you in the isles) So I was forced to choose a regular cart (tears, sniffles).


"Ladies and Gentlemen in this corner we have Scooter at 43 lbs. In the other corner Potter at 42lbs." And the fighting began.


From who would weigh the bananas, to who would get to ride on the back of the cart, to who would get to play with the large beach balls on display in isle 10, to who would be the first to knock merchandise off a shelf (Potter won that bet...a bottle of Pledge).


I never prayed so hard for Valium in my life.


I tried every trick in the book. I tried getting them involved, asking them questions, so on and so forth. They had their minds made up when they woke up this morning. They were going to drive Mommy crazy. Mission accomplished at 10:20am Eastern Standard Time.

By the time Hubby arrived home from work I was in a coma curled in fetal position on the couch. Both kids had taken a nap. They didn't wake up much better, and I can't say I was surprised or unhappy about this. See, sometimes I don't mind if my husband gets a taste of the tantrums, the meltdowns, and the somewhat bizarre behavior that the children are capable of dishing out.

Like the optimist I am, I'm sure tomorrow will be better. The plan so far is a trip to the library and another birthday party. I think were expecting a thunderstorm so it looks like a day filled with inside activities. (Dear Lord!)

Ready, Get Set, Go!

6 comments:

Barely Domestic Mama said...

Is this the fun I'm missing out on with having an only child?! I'm just kidding. I hope you have a wonderful Easter and that your kids give mommy some nice quiet moments (not just when they are sleeping.) :)

Jen said...

Sounds like an eventful day to say the least!! I am a teacher and now I understand when parents tell me that they are so glad when schools starts up again!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Hope you have a wonderful Easter!

Jen

Rob said...

I love your blog... As for the entire Spring Break think I HEAR YOU! My girls have been home since Thursday and I am not having much fun yet. My kids are off until the 20th so I know that I have to figure something out soon! Wish me luck!

Becca

Please visit me at http://www.askbecca.com

Tiffany said...

I hope it starts getting better. Changing the routine is hard sometimes.

kel said...

I hope you are feeling better! What a crappy day!

Kathy B! said...

The change in routine whacks me upside the head, too. And about the time you begin to roll with it break's over and then you're all messed up. AGAIN!