Thursday, January 1, 2009

When the Lights Go Out!!!!


Hard to believe 2008 has finally come to an end. The celebration with our two boys Potter and Scooter consisted of viewing the movie Transformers, eating microwave popcorn, wearing funny hats compliments of Party City, blowing noise makers, and of course the power outage.



Of all the nights the power could have gone out, it happened New Years Eve. Luckily, one of my Christmas presents from Hubby consisted of candles for my bathroom. So we were more than prepared.



Despite Scooters initial apprehension (he's only 3), he soon came to enjoy our sudden lack of electricity. Although we had trouble explaining to him that everything he wanted to do required power; which at the time was not running through our house. Older brother Potter helped calm the situation with Dad and provided Scooter with a flashlight. Jackpot! Sometimes it's those little things in life that help diffuse situations quicker than any power surge was about to do.



We spent about 35 minutes in a dim lit living room. While the kids ran around the stairs with their flashlights, Hubby and I wondered if the New Years Eve Countdown would take place this year in the dark. There was even a moment when I wondered weather or not we would know it was New Years Eve. The T.V. was out, the lights were out, and none of our clocks were working.


Right around the time I decided to make myself a cup of hot tea with the help of a trusty candle lighter to ignite our gas stove, light from everywhere began to pour into our home. The electric had been restored. And I have to admit, it was a bit sad.

In the hustle and bustle of everyday life, there often seems to be just a little too much noise. The kids are playing army men, the phone is ringing, the dog is barking, and the background of T.V. programming drowns out all of the above. "Calgon take me away."

But for those short 35 minutes, there was peace. Looks like I already got my News Years Resolution. To all who stop and read my blog this year, may you all enjoy a little peace.