Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Undressing of Christmas


So it is now January 6th, and my Christmas decorations are in the same place they've been for the past month. I always dread this process.


I can hardly wait each year when it's time to decorate, but mention the words "Time to put away" and I enter my Mommy cocoon.


From Black Friday until New Years there seems to be a constant celebration in our house. I kicked off the day after Thanksgiving with a shopping spree. Early December brought a Christmas Party with family and friends. Of course Christmas Day was wonderful as usual. And although Hubby and I fell asleep before the New Years Eve countdown, the night we spent with the kids was fabulous.


So here I sit with computer in hand, and my beautifully decorated Christmas Tree at my back. The poinsettia and berry swags hang nicely over the windows. Each cabinet in the kitchen is adorned with gold glittered bows, and the Disney stocking hangers (minus the one Hubby accidentally smashed on the floor) neatly align the fireplace mantle. The house resembles a Winter Wonderland.


I'm trying to hold out for the weekend, but as you know those two days seem to made for everything else we couldn't get done during the week (aside from the necessary undecorating).


So I guess I'll start the packing tomorrow. The boxes will be brought from the basement. They will be refilled to the brim with balls, trains, wreaths, and lights. Then one by one, each box will be marched back down to the basement and stacked nicely in the storage room. By this time tomorrow, computer will be hand, but my breakfast table will replace the missing Christmas tree.

While I'm in the storage room, I'll try looking for our Valentine's Day decorations. This should help me get out of my holiday stupor or at best, out of my Mommy cocoon. And if that doesn't do it, I'll just take a look at the calendar. In less than 350 days, I get to march those boxes right back upstairs!

No comments: