Sunday, April 4, 2010

It's My Turn To Nap


Parenthood can be exhausting. I remember looking at my parents when I was young and wondering: "What's wrong with you guys?" "Why are you sitting down?" "We just got started."

And now I'm walking in those same shoes. Shoes I wish offered more support for those unpredictable aches and pains that sneak up on me when least expected.

Saturday began early. I ate breakfast then headed to the gym for a swim. I completed 20 laps. I felt proud until I got a look at the woman in the lane beside me. Twice my age, she swam like an extra in the Titantic. "How is she doing that?" I thought.

I tried remembering the advice the life guard gave me the week before: "Do not compare yourself to that woman. Compare yourself to the person who decided to stay on the couch and eat chips."

So on I persevered. I threw the bag of chips out when I got home.

Hubby and I decided to take the kids to the movies. After selling our first born we were able to purchase tickets. Just kidding, but honestly, why must they charge $10 a person just to watch a movie in 3D? I enjoy 3D about as much as I enjoy reality TV. I'm more impressed with good writing, followed by good actors. Both have been in short supply lately.

Anyway, we ended up watching How To Train Your Dragon. Aside from the 3D glasses I as forced to wear, I really enjoyed the movie.

Three hot dogs, 2 pop corns, 4 sodas and a box of peanut M&M's later; the family was ready to move on.

We headed home to finish a little of yard work. The hot sun made this job a little less than desirable. So we decided to take the kids to the playground.

Turns out there was more shade in our backyard.

We returned home to cook dinner for the kids. Afterwards we all sat down to watch a movie. It must have been then that it hit me...pure exhaustion. I looked over to say something to my husband, but he had already fallen asleep.

That's OK I thought. I'll just watch the movie with the kids.

Let's just say, that was the last thought I had. Because before I knew it, I was fast asleep. And apparently that was the wrong move.

When I woke up I was informed by Hubby that it was "his turn to take a nap."

"I couldn't help it." I told him. My eyes were so heavy. I just couldn't stay up any longer.

If you're wondering, the children were just fine. Apparently they have no problem waking up Mommy and asking her for a snack.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great that you have well behaved kids. I shudder to think what mine would have done when they were little if I'd dared to close my eyes! lol