Monday, February 1, 2010

Nice To Be Home


Well, I just got back from New York City, and what can I say? I think I'll start with: "I'm glad to be home."

Don't get me wrong. New York has some wonderful things to offer, and I took them up on a few. But I must say, it's so different than the lifestyle I am use to in Pennsylvania.

Let me begin with my arrival at Penn Station. It was like a cattle call. Everyone seemed to know where they were going except me. And despite all the signs, not one said: "Follow Me Mary!" Surely they were expecting me. I stuck out like a sore thumb.

My husband joined me for this trip, and, well, Thank God. I likely would have picked a corner to curl up in if it hadn't been for him.

Off to the taxi stand we strolled. It was only 17 degrees outside. That whole thing about "New York Drivers" is true. If you want to see your life flash before your eyes, by all means, hop in a taxi. The arrival at the Grand Hyatt was like landing at heavens door. Bon Voyage Yellow Car!

Most of my weekend was spent in the SCBWI Conference (Society for Children's Book Writer's and Illustrator's). Which by the way is never disappointing. It gives me time to reflect on why I need to focus more time on my writing, and a little less time on my blogging. What can I say? I'm a bit scattered. I think my husband said it best: "It doesn't sell sitting on your desk." Oh, don't you hate it when they're right.

The rest of the weekend was spent eating (my favorite),walking (not so much), a Broadway show (awesome), and shopping (need I even add an adjective here?).

The quote for the weekend came from my husbands lips: "I think my eyes are frozen." (Spoken ever so softly at around 7pm Saturday while walking to our show. It was 12 degrees at the time).

We followed the rest of the cattle back onto the train Sunday afternoon. With all the hustle and bustle of the weekend, the train ride was absolutely the most peaceful moment.

I have to tip my hat to you New Yorker's. You move at a pace that only my treadmill understands. It's always nice to visit. But gosh, it's much nicer to come home.

7 comments:

ethelmaepotter! said...

Happy to say I cannot relate to this post at all! To each his own, but New York is one place I have no desire to see - way too hectic, too noisy, too cold, too expensive, too crowded, too, too, TOO!
Welcome home, Mommy!

Unknown said...

I have a 23-year-old granddaughter who workes in NYC and absolutely loves it. I would love to go back again (last stayed in the city in 1966!), but it IS so expensive, I don't know if I'll ever make it.

Unknown said...

I would love to visit New York one day!! But maybe that's because I live in England and it would be a holiday to me!! :)

Unknown said...

It sounds like you had an adventure. Stopping by from SITS!

Caution/Lisa said...

Coming via SITS. I wonder why any business-related trip I've been on has never included New York. I mean, why have a conference in NY when you can have it in Grand Rapids ~~ :(

Shelle said...

Glad you made it home safely and hopefully without any frozen eyes...
I am from PA, too! Stopping by from SITS! Hope you had a great day!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary!

I'm a fellow PA lady!! Are you guys ready for the snow this weekend? I'm NOT ready for it, but it makes a lovely opportunity for eating an entire tray of brownies with the family. :o) And sledding. We do proper recreational things, as well, LOL.

I love writing, too, AND eating (and New York, haha) and just had to say hi! Stopping by from SITS!

P.S. That's too cool that you're writing a novel! One day when I have more time I hope to do the same thing...or learn to write telepathically with the computer since my hands are always holding babies, haha.

Enjoy the snow!