Friday, February 26, 2010

Cabin Fever? That's Just the Half of It!


Two days ago, I finally started getting excited about Spring. The temperature was in the mid 40's and the snow had melted enough that parts of our front yard were visible once again. My famous Mickey Mouse statue which stands proudly in my garden was able to wave at me as I walked by.

I refused to listen to the weathermen: "Pending Winter Storm Warming Tonight!" No, not another one I thought. The great melt down was occurring and all the weather stations could report were: Blizzard conditions, blustery winds, and 6-12 inches.

In my mind, the pool was already open. I sat on my raft floating on the clear water. Cocktail in hand. SPF 75 slathered on my body, and the cool sounds of Jimmy Buffet playing in the background. It was the perfect setting.

Return to Reality: It's now Friday (2 days later) and still snowing. My pool is hidden under 3 foot high drifts. Oh, Vancouver would be jealous! Wind gusts are 40+ miles an hour.

That's Just the Half of It! I woke up yesterday with a cold. Luckily, my husband was able to work from home and help me out, since the children didn't go to school. I slept most of the afternoon. Despite feeling a little better today, I'm still exhausted, and of course, the children are home again.

But it gets trickier. Tomorrow is Scooter's fifth birthday. We were expecting about 10 people. We have not gone grocery shopping, and that won't even be possible until my husband pulls out the snow blower. Looking out the window only gets me more worried. It's still snowing. I'm unsure if anyone will show up tomorrow, or if we will have any food to offer. Worse case scenario: we will serve pop tarts and Ritz crackers. Nothing like a "Clear out Your Pantry Party!"

So I'm crossing my fingers. At least Supermom was wise enough to go to Party City and buy all the supplies 2 weeks ago. Once I'm done this blog I plan on turning that dining room of mine into a Star Wars play land. We may not get any guest tomorrow, but there's one Jedi that won't soon forget his 5th birthday. Happy Birthday Scooter!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We had rain and high winds. I went and took photos of the damage today and will try to post them on my blog tomorrow.

Good luck with the birthday party--happy birthday to the little Jedi!

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

Just stopping by to thank you for visiting me on my SITS day and leaving me some blog love! Everyone was so sweet and I really enjoyed the day!

Blessings,
LMM

Dalia (Generation X Mom) said...

I am enjoying reading your blog. Found you on Pams Perspective. It sounds like everyone is so sick of winter. I think I can take just a little bit more. I am enjoying the hibernation and the excuse not to do anything more than what I have to do. I am sure in a couple of weeks I will be ready for that pool to open too! Hang in there! Time flies.