I often blog about the many jobs us mothers have. On a daily basis we may find ourselves vacuuming and doing a load of laundry in the morning, while by night we're cleaning up vomit, helping check homework and wishing for that coveted activity called sleep. No rest for the weary.
Sometimes I share this observation with Hubby who seems perplexed at the notion that more than one thing can actually be completed at the same time. This is in no way a complaint about my husband, it's again, just an observation. Men and women are wired differently. I don't pretend to get it. But I certainly have learned to accept it.
This actual post came to me during a potty break (can you tell I'm a Mom?). And as I sat there contemplating about my many roles, I couldn't help but think of the many roles held by something else that sits under our roof. Yes, I'm referring to our toilet.
While many of us may take our toilets for granted, I promise, by the end of this post, you will see your toilet in a different light. Once you realize how much you depend on your toilet, you may just find yourself buying one for every room.
Here are just a few of the many hats our very own toilet wears everyday:
1) The Obvious- I'm not going to spell this one out for you. You know what you do and how you do it. And that's the end of this speech.
2) A Foot Stool- A best friend when it comes to removing those window shades, or the extra six inches we need to reach that pesky spider web.
3) A Decoration- You just couldn't help yourself. Walmart had a sale on toilet huggies, and now your piece of porcelain paradise is covered in a fur coat.
4) A Book Case- Your favorite novels line the top. Designed especially for those important trips that feel more like journeys.
5) An Alternative Bathing Spot- Whether it's your pet, your child, a doll or action figure; at least once during your life span, one of those things will believe they will get a better clean in the toilet than the bathtub.
6) A Geyser- Old Faithful has nothing on you. Your children decided to play the oldie but goodie game: "How much can you flush?"
7) A Getaway- Research shows the cheapest vacation spot known to man or woman for that matter is the potty. (Notice: Invest in a padlock for optimal satisfaction).
8) A Cemetery- Every bug that you've squished and every fish that has passed has taken the toilet journey. "So where do you think all of that stuff goes?"
9) An Ashtray- In your teenage years, you hid your smoking from your parents by flushing your habit down the drain (I'm referring to cigarettes of course!)
10) The Reason Homeowners is a Good Idea- The weatherman predicted sunny skies and yet it's raining on the first floor. OOP'S!
So when you're feeling overwhelmed one day, kick back, throw your feet up, and maybe enjoy one of Ann's famous cocktails during VGNO. But before you throw the towel in, I have one question for you: "Have you thanked your potty today?"