Monday, December 8, 2008

Thank Goodness for Little Boys


I recently read an article that talked about how to choose a name for your baby. It got me thinking back to that not so long ago day when my husband and I were going through those motions. I would suggest a name, he would say "no." He would suggest a name, I would say "no." And so it went.


My husband was always ready with a boys name, whereas I could come up with a girls name at the drop of a hat. Turns out, the ultrasound revealed we were going to need a boys name. And 18 months later, we needed another boys name.


Preparing to be a mother was going to be hard enough, but preparing to raise 2 boys seemed at the time impossible; if not a little psychotic. I felt I would know what to do with a girl. There wouldn't be any surprises. I would know what to do when she cried. I could teach her to dance, sing, and write. When she got older I could teach her how to shop without spending an entire paycheck. I could have "the talk" without feeling uncomfortable. I could teach her the difference between men and gentlemen. I could teach her to love, and hold her when he heart gets broken. But, I don't have a little girl.


Instead, I have been given something much better. I have not one son, but two. And all the things I thought I would miss out on, I actually get to do almost everyday.

It didn't take long before they were both making their way through our house. Maybe it was due to the fact that I would often turn the car radio up while they were still in the womb, and play my favorite CD. And although the days of disco are long gone, both boys will proudly strut their stuff to The Bee Gees Greatest Hits. Yes, I taught them to dance.

You will probably never find me auditioning for a spot in American Idol. But I have to confess that I've taken my chances on numerous Karaoke Nights (yes, I have done it without alcohol). Despite my lack of Mariah Carey vocals you can often find me belting out a tune within the confines of my minivan. For the most part I encourage those who ride with me to chime in as well. And so, my boys have learned to do just that. Yes, I have taught them to sing.

It's hard to consider myself a writer, but a day never passes that at least a few words haven't been saved on a hard drive or even a notebook. I believe that children should be given that experience as well. It's amazing what they will do once a pencil is placed in their hand. I still remember the day they realized that coloring books are not the only palette for a crayon. Whether Picasso's or mini Ernest Heminway's they have been given the tools to become great at whatever they choose. Yes, I have taught them to write.

As I was leaving for the grocery store one morning, my younger son asked: "Do you have your coupons Mom?" He may not know exactly what they are for, but he knows not to go shopping without them. Both boys have been taught to look for the "red" sign. Explaining clearance and sale at this age may be a bit over their head, but they do understand colors. And if what Mommy wants to buy doesn't have a "red" sign above it; it doesn't go home with Mommy. Yes, I have taught them to look for a deal.

My boys are a little too young for "the talk" but when the time comes, well I don't deserve all the credit...Daddy will sit down with them. He may even shed some light on the topic of: Girls you date and Girls you marry. (No doubt, there is a difference).

A day never goes by that I don't whisper the words "I love you." And lucky for me, they whisper them back. Often times with no prompts at all. Yes, I've taught them to love.

My hopes for a little girl are obsolete; though not completely forgotten. I have more than any one person should have. And for that, I am grateful.
My days are no longer days, they are adventures....Adventures of a Mommy Maestro!

1 comment:

Insanitykim said...

I have many friends that have been blessed with the abundance of boys! I think a few are hoping to start a boy band when they hit the teen years!

I too see the significance of names; I am blessed to have one of each-Jacob, who has a great name that doesn't have the greatest meaning, but we tell him "God loved Jacob", and Audrey, which means, "noble strength" and let me tell you, they both live up to their names!

I will enjoy following your blog. Happy writing!