Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Yes. I've Managed to Blow Up Another Appliance!


I'm unsure whether or not a carpet steamer can be filed under the word appliance. When I think of appliance, I automatically think of all those dust collectors that line our counter tops. Our coffee pots, toasters, KitchenAids, food processors, blenders, etc.

I have independently decided that carpet steamers be filed under a special category...CRAP!

See, it's like this. Hubby and I bought a carpet steamer the year we bought our home (eight years ago this week). Sadly, carpet steamer #1 left us much too soon.

We began a family the following year and knew we would need a new steamer. So of course, out to the store we headed. I believe that one lasted us about a year. Just in time for our second child to arrive. Unfortunately, it too bit the dust (no pun intended).

Steamer #3 was sure to last us a lifetime (at least that's what it said on the box). Now, before I go any further, I need to mention that I do not steam every day, or every week for that matter. So for anyone who may believe I'm just killing these steamers slowly by overuse, well, that is truly not the case.

Steamer #3 was off to a bad start. See, we were forced to buy special chemicals (that were not sold in stores) to keep that puppy running. And although I believed in the promises, Steamer #3 found it's way to the garbage can shortly after it decided to backfire its "special chemical" all over the user, i.e. Me. There's something truly special about a Steamer that not only steams carpets, but also steams it's owners, it's owners clothes, and air.

Steamer #4 was bought at my local Kohl's store. And while I do not hold Kohl's accountable for today's misconduct, I have to mention that I've only owned this "appliance" for four months. The fact that it broke was only half of my misfortune. I now have a steamer filled with water and carpet cleaner. And a dining room table which is now balancing all the contents of the dining room, including the chairs.

I literally had to sit down and take a break. Steamers are indeed not one of the cheaper "appliances." It always seemed more logical to me to own a steamer than to pay someone to come in and clean our rugs.

Hubby is currently in Google Mode trying to find a way to fix said appliance. I however, have bigger plans. I think I should put the $300 I would spend toward a steamer, and purchase a Margarita Maker. Let's face it: If it decides to leak, I can always sip the contents right off the counter top. And maybe after 2 or 3 of those Margaritas, the stains in the carpet won't look so bad after all.

4 comments:

pamelahazelton said...

Have you thought about just installing hardwood floors?

ethelmaepotter! said...

I have two words for you: Stanley Steamer. THEY move the furniture, THEY put it back, THEY clean the carpets. Whatever they charge is alright by me.

AND you still have your sanity when they leave.

Anna said...

I think you should get the margarita maker. Who needs clean carpets:)

FranticMommy said...

I have some suggestions.
1. Circle stains, put tags by them that say "Exibit A" and put up some of the Police "Do Not Cross This Line" tape. I promise, your guest will be too scared to say a word.
2. Go "old school" and rip out all your flooring. I hear Dirt is The New Berber these days.
3. Cut your losses and hire a carpet cleaner. I heard a definition somewhere about the meaning of INSANITY. Something about doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results...not sure on that one. Just sayin ;)